Friday, October 30, 2009

Props to Quick Food

So as you may have gathered from my previous posts, I have a new job. This is exciting stuff. I am working "all the way downtown" in "the city". For those of you not from around these parts, that translates to the Wall Street area in New York City (aka NYC, aka Manhattan). It's a really cool part of town. The Stock Exchange is a block away and the spot where Washington was sworn in as President is around the corner. There are cobblestone streets with really old buildings and pubs. Its a total maze, nothing makes sense compared to the very easy to navigate grid that makes up most of the city. Lots of nooks and crannies with great little restaurants.

So during my first week of work, I was very pleasantly surprised with some of the local breakfast and lunch places. Not only were they quick and easy, but they were diet friendly. And I'm not just talking healthy choices, I mean they had the calories of everything displayed right in the store (even on the big menu/price boards). You didn't have to navigate the web to find nutrition info (though the sites are great too), it was just right in front of your face!

So Cosi and Pret A Manger both get BIG props (both have many locations world wide). I have found that I am making better decisions at lunch since the calories are right there for me. Something that might have sounded appealing by description would suddenly not look quite as good when I realized I could get something else equally appealing for half the calories.

So not only do I get to explore my new work neighborhood for some cool stores and pubs, but I feel like I have so many more food choices than I thought I would. Oh and of course there is a Starbucks on the corner (awesome). Not a bad deal, especially after that long commute "all the way downtown".

No comments:

Post a Comment