Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Life, Death and Hot Pockets

So, just to warn you, today's post may be a bit "heavy" for a Hot Pocket diet post. But its now August 19th which means, one year ago today my dad died. And my dad didn't just die, he committed suicide.

My dad was a goofy guy - this ending was completely out of character. I suppose he was really good at covering up just how depressed he was. I mean, he was the guy that would come up with something completely ridiculous like the Hot Pocket Diet. Though his diet may have consisted solely of Beyer's Ice Cream.

Everyone has those days that truly changed their life and this was one of them. I'd like to think I understand why he did what he did, but in reality I am sure I never will. But if anything good came out of it, I realized that I had to live my life differently than I was. I had to not be afraid of making myself happy, I had to not be afraid to make major changes in my life, simply - I needed to live myself.

So this whole Hot Pocket thing may sound completely absurd to you - but its just a way for me to try to reach a goal while being able to make people laugh and to laugh at myself in the process. It's a way to show that life doesn't have to be completely serious all the time, because we have enough to worry about. 20-30 extra pounds should be the least of it.

So there may not be a weigh-in this week or a lot of silly banter, but don't worry - I'm still eating my Hot Pockets and will be sure to update you on my progress. Right now though I have a few other things to be thankful for besides melty cheese in a pocket.

I think the following quote sums it up nicely:
"I hope it is true that a man can die and yet not only live in others but give them life, and not only life, but that great consciousness of life." Jack Kerouac

I now have that great consciousness of life and I have my dad to thank for it. I just wish I could have gotten that gift another way. But then I guess it wouldn't have the same effect.

Thanks for listening - I'll be back in a couple days.

Please check out www.afsp.org; www.trufoundation.org for more information about suicide and depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment